One of my favorite features in my fashion magazines has always been the one that highlights what celebrities are carrying in their bags on a daily basis. Call me curious, but I love to know what other people “can’t live without,” especially when it comes to beauty products. With that in mind, I decided to ask some of cool and fashionable Bergen County girls my favorite question: What’s in your bag?
Dr. Margarita Lolis
Dr. Margarita Lolis is a board-certified fellowship-trained dermatologist. Her practice, Skin, Laser and Surgery Specialists is located in Hackensack and Tenafly. She focuses on cosmetic and medical dermatology, as well as functional and anti-aging medicine.
Dr. Lolis is a graduate of Yale University and Mount Science School of Medicine. She is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, American College of Mohs Surgery and the American Society of Anti-Aging Medicine.
- “I carry them 365 days [a year] – in the rain, snow or sun. Not only because they’re a cute accessory, but also because they protect my eyes from the sun. Repeated squinting and sun exposure can cause crow’s feet and crepiness. My current pair are the Prada 0PR.”
- Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF 30 Powder. “You’ll most likely find this in almost every dermatologist’s bag. This is mineral sunscreen in the form of a tinted powder, mostly used for easy reapplication during the day over makeup. It’s great for convenience.”
- Aveeno Active Naturals Skin Relief Moisturizer. “I suffer from dry hands year round. This moisturizer has a blend of oatmeal and other emollients, which is soothing and moisturizing. I like to keep a small tube in my bag, because I apply it as soon as I wash my hands. I do the same for my kids. I especially love the coconut scented one.”
- La Roche‑Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+ Lip Stick. “This lip stick helps with my dry lips but it, most importantly, protects my lips from UVA and UVB damage. Being a dermatologist and Mohs surgeon, I see a lot of skin cancer on the lips, an area that is often forgotten to protect from the sun.”
- “Between kids and work, I’m always rushing, so I slip these in my bag so I don’t forget to take them. These pills contain antioxidants, Vitamins A, B, E, C, turmeric, which is a known anti-ager, and flaxseed oil. They help repair the skin from daily wear and tear, and it gives me a boost of energy. The night pills, made of a mixture of amino acids, help increase your REM sleep, basically providing a better and longer sleep.”
Margaux Minutolo is the founder and designer of KARMA for a cure by Margaux, a contemporary resort and travelwear brand made to explore the world while giving back. A Fashion Institute of Technology alumna, Minutolo was recently celebrated during New York Fashion Week as emerging designer to watch and has designed collections for the iconic Henri Bendel flagship store.
- Frederic Malle Perfume in Noir Epices. “An exotic, elegant scent with notes of nutmeg, cinnamon and geranium. It stays on for hours and is the perfect scent for both day and night.”
- Bare Minerals Statement Matte Liquid Lipcolor in Flawless. “A great liquid lipcolor with a beautiful matte finish. It feels creamy and hydrates my lips unlike most matte lipsticks.”
- Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard. “A long-wearing concealer that goes on smooth with buildable coverage. I love that this shade always blends with my skin tone, with or without a tan.”
- Nars Blush in Orgasm. “This is my go-to blush for over a decade. It adds a natural glow and pop of color that brightens my complexion.”
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer in Park Ave Princess. “A waterproof matte bronzer in a very natural shade. I love that this bronzer has no sparkle to it, so you can also use it for contouring. This is another product that is great for sensitive skin, recommended years ago by my friend and makeup artist Erica West.”
Kendall Marie Zoppa
As a lifestyle and wellness coach, as well as an instructor at CycleBar, Kendall is always on-the-go. From class to clients, her bag doubles as a gym bag and purse and she’s the first to admit she’d be lost with out it. The following are some of her go-to’s that keep her feeling and looking fresh are simple, no fuss products.
- Happy Spritz Good Morning Beautiful Towelettes. “Sometimes I have to bolt quickly from the studio to a client or an appointment and shower time isn’t really factored in. These towelettes smell divine and leave me feeling like I’m fresh out of the shower. They’re individually wrapped and fit perfectly in my bag or in a small purse to take with you anywhere. They come in packs of seven or 30 and have a few different scents to choose from. I like anything citrusy so these are my go-to.”
- Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater. “I was given a bottle by a friend earlier this year and I couldn’t believe I ever lived without it. This stuff is life changing. It cost $7 and you will never use another facial spray. After class, I use it to calm down my rosy cheeks. I also use it during the day for a quick pick me up or after moisturizing – day and night. I have one at home and one in my bag at all times.”
- It Cosmetics CC Cream. “This CC cream is magical. It covers any imperfection, any redness left over from an intense class and packs a punch with SPF 50 from titanium dioxide and zinc. I like to find SPF that doesn’t absorb into the skin like this one. It’s full coverage yet moisturizing at the same time. I wear medium.”
- Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay Mascara. “Summer is the only season in which I leave house without mascara. This is the best eco-chic mascara I’ve found on the market yet. It boosts lashes better than any conventional mascara I’ve used and doesn’t flake. This is a staple in my everyday beauty routine.”
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Roller Ball. “I’ve been wearing Light Blue for over 10 years. Every time I try to find a new scent, I always wind up coming right back. It’s a fresh, clean, just come from the shower type scent. And, when you’re on the move constantly, you need a scent that can help a sister out. Plus, the roller ball doesn’t take up much space in my bag and is super compact.”
Abbey Braverman is the proud mother of two very talented musical daughters. She has devoted much of her time and efforts to FARE, Food Allergy Research and Education, for the last 15 years and continues to do so. Both of her daughters have life-threatening food allergies. Abbey also has opened two CycleBar studios – one in Fort Lee and another in Closter. CycleBar is an indoor cycling boutique studio; it supports many local and national charities.
- Alfred Sung “This is my signature scent. People stop me all the time and ask me what I am wearing.”
- EpiPens. “My daughters have life-threatening food allergies. Even though they are older, I still carry them in my bag for them just in case or even for others.”
- Dior sunglasses. “I can’t leave home without them!”
- Nars Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner. “My go-to is Bourbon Street, a shade of purple, of course.”
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. “I wear an almond shade, which is perfect for everyday.”
- Satin Gloss by Victoria’s Secret in Strawberry Fizz. “This glass tastes so good and it sparkles.”
Dolores Catania is one of the stars of Bravo’s Real Housewives of New Jersey. Dolores is a mother, entrepreneur, philanthropist and the living embodiment of a modern-day housewife. Dolores is also an advocate of St Joseph’s Children’s Hospital and The Onyx & Breezy Foundation, whose mission is improving and saving the lives of animals every day.
- Appointment Book. “I’m old school and I still write things down. I need to hold it and see it. If I have it in my phone, I just think it’s another text and I’m sure to forget.”
- Neutrogena Facial Wipes. “I have runny eyes and always like to freshen my face with these wipes. They never make me break out or anything. I finally found the perfect wipe.”
- EOS Lip Balm. “Yeah, baby, got to keep these big lips hydrated! I actually apply this compulsively all day long.”
- Red Hots Candy. “Oh, my beloved Red Hots! I am addicted to these and I read somewhere that cinnamon curbs your appetite so that’s an added perk.”
- Custom-made Rosary from Chloe’s Treasures. “I have my kid’s names on my rosary and when I am missing them, I just grab my rosary and say a little prayer to bring me some peace. I cannot leave home without them. It is the most important item I carry with me.”
By Kristin Favaloro
Kristin Favaloro is a Jersey girl with a serious makeup and skincare obsession.